Albany's whaling history began well before settlement.
Whaling was Albany’s oldest industry & was established
by British, French and American whalers well before official settlement took place.
In 1826, following official settlement, settlers took up whaling to the east of the township.
Norwegian company began whaling at Frenchmans Bay in 1912 and following a poor year, ended operations in 1916.
The Cheynes Beach Whaling Company began hunting Humpback whales in 1952.
Whaling was banned internationally in 1963 and Whaling operations were ceased in Albany in 1978.
Today, the remaining whale artefacts of the Cheynes Beach Whaling Company
are on display to the public at Discovery Bay.